We've Moved!

We've Moved!
(This is NOT spam. You can click to go to our site, or just enter www.TugboatYarning.com in your web browser. See you soon!)

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How We Became Life, Hyphenated

Image Courtesy of Kate Brown Photography, 2012

Often times, we write about what's going on in the life of the H-G's, but do you really know who we are?  Since (over) a year has passed since our very first post, we thought we would take the time to tell you a little bit about the three H-G's.

MAGGIE, a toe-headed middle child, was born in the nation's Cereal Capital, spent summers in Alabama, and loves to consume baked goods, as long as they don't contain any nuts - she considers them wasted space that could have been filled with sugar and/or butter - though almonds, pistachios and walnuts are fair game if served in a heaping bowl all on their own.  Among her strange assortment of talents, she  loves to crochet, tolerates knitting, and can make a good home-cooked meal 40% of the time (the other 60% are made from a box or taste horrifically bad).  She has a passion for languages (formerly working in the translation and interpreting industry, though not as a linguist), loves to travel (has been to 29 states, 7 countries, and never had her wallet stolen), and thinks South Carolina has the prettiest license plates of all.  If you want to bribe her, do so with vanilla lattes, back rubs*, or skeins of yarn.  She is a stay-at-home mom, gets overly excited when successfully recycling something, and thinks chocolate chip banana bread is the cat's meow.
*Only close friends or family; creepy people need not apply.

BRAD is a metaphorical and literal omnivore. With a day (and night) job as an Internal Medicine PA-C, he imagines himself as a modern day cross between Sherlock Holmes (think more Doyle than Ritchie) and JD (from the first two seasons, before he got ridiculous). At any point, you are equally likely to find him reading NEJM, Bonnie Jo Campbell, or a hockey blog. He enjoys reading smart fiction, working on the house, riding his bicycle, and watching his son smile. In the end, he enjoys a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

QUINCY, born on Winter Solstice with no snow in sight, is a happy go lucky guy.  A night owl by trade, he enjoys chewing on plastic giraffes, stuffed animals, blankets, burp cloths, fingers, thumbs, hands, towels, and anything else at arm's reach.  Though only in his first year of life, he has developed a love of swimming (while being held by an adult), splashing (in pools and bathtubs), playing airplane, and napping in "his crib".  He has a slight obsession with cats, toes, fabric of all kinds, and the afore mentioned plastic giraffe.  Someday, he hopes to have teeth, object permanence, and a bicycle.


As you can see, this blog is a way for us to share our lives with our friends, family, and pseudo-family-friends that have come across our page and decided to follow our posts.  Want to learn more about the H-G's?  Here are some hi-lights:

In 2011, we conducted the White T-Shirt Experiment to watch our first child grow in the womb, and happily welcomed him into the world in December (see a video introduction at this post).  We encountered mishaps in the kitchen, shed a few tears, discussed some of the perks of pregnancy, and shared a tale of brothers, among other things.

In 2012, we have so far admitted we love granola, loaded up the motherhood tool belt, learned how to nurse like a ninja, made some important promises (y una promesa), flew on five airplanes, and mulled over a big decision.

How did we become the H-G's?  Well, Brad was the H, and Maggie was the G.  When getting married, Maggie didn't want to lose her name because it had been with her since birth, identifying her, linking her to her own family, and representing her achievements thus far.  She opted to hyphenated, but it was Brad that suggested, "Why don't we both hyphenate our names?"

In true H-G Fashion, here's a mini slide show of the H-G Timeline...

The Engagement
Image Courtesy of Kate Brown Photography, 2006

The Wedding
Image Courtesy of Kate Brown Photography, 2006

The Pregnancy
Image Courtesy Kate Brown Photography, 2011
Life, Hyphenated.
Image Courtesy Kate Brown Photography, 2012

So Brad added a G, Maggie got herself an H, Quincy was born an H-G, and that is how we came to share this Life, Hyphenated.

Thanks for reading!

~The H-G's

P.S. As you can see, we LOVE Kate Brown Photography.  She does amazing work (we've used her for EVERY big event), and you should do the same if you haven't already!)


  1. The Brady Bunch theme song entered my head as I read that last line. Only 2 boys and 3 girls to go! ;-)

  2. Thank you for sharing this story, and the blogs Maggie & Brad. Congrats on your major decision! It looks good on you all. : ) Can't wait to meet Quincy.